Last year we started a Junior Slalom programme, and currently have 9 young members (and quite a older ones!) racing regularly in Divisions 2 and 3 – now we are looking for more young paddlers to join us.
What is slalom? It’s fun, a challenge, an opportunity to really develop your paddling skills – and another excuse to go paddling!! So we are keen to offer all our younger members the chance to have a go.
HXCC Junior Slalom Development Programme
This programme will support young people to race in slalom through weekly coaching sessions, coaching support at races and occasional training sessions at other slalom venues, as well as use of club slalom boats.
To be part of this junior development squad you need to:
- Have completed a club Start Slalom Course (see below) or be already ranked in slalom (i.e. in Division 3 or higher)
- Be committed to attending weekly slalom training and racing regularly during the season
- Be committed to developing your paddling on white water
Start Slalom Course
For youngsters that haven’t done any slalom before, we have a Junior Start Slalom Course running in September giving a chance to try slalom over a few weeks and the opportunity to attend 4 race days!
- Race weekend 1 – Oughtibridge Slalom 13th & 14th Sept (near Sheffield)
- Race weekend 2 – West Tanfield Slalom 27th & 28th Sept (near Ripon)
- We’ll also do a couple of coached sessions at the club between the race weekends: Weds 17th , 24th Sept (7 – 8:30pm)
Open to any under 18s wanting to have a first go at slalom racing, so long as you’ve done (or doing) a club beginners course and have paddled down the club white water. You just need to be ready for the challenge and willing to give it a good go. After the course they’ll be the opportunity to join our junior slalom development sessions running on Thursday evenings.
Interested? For more information or to sign up contact Les Ford on 01484 854099 or email@example.com
Over 18 and wanting to do slalom? Sorry this course is only for youngsters – speak to your regular coach about having a go in slalom boats this coming week – but do think about coming along to these 2 race events above with us – speak to les about.
Also see the slalom pages of our website.